[e2e] FTP data port

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Feb 26 13:26:09 PST 2001

At 03:10 PM 2/26/01 -0500, John Day wrote:
>The application layer should never pass around IP addresses, any more than
>a program should pass around absolute memory addresses between different
>programs.

Probably a side issue, but I disagree that this is a general
principle.  Any application program that deals with multiple foreign
entities needs to tell the other entities about each other.  There is no
means for doing so other than IP addresses.

The only situation where IP addresses need not be used is where there are
exactly two entities, self and other.

I can agree, however, that one should not pass around IP addresses when it
isn't necessary (i.e. when the task can be accomplished without passing
around IP addresses.)

- David