[e2e] How TCP might look with always there ESP

Robert Moskowitz rgm-ietf at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 17 06:21:17 PDT 2001

What if you always had ESP (RFC 2406 for you fellow old-timers taht are
thinking back to our college days :).  How would TCP change?

First we would drop the CRC checksum.  All of the ESP auth methods are much
stronger.

But what about sequence numbers?  ESP has a seq # also.  Can it be used in
place of TCPs?  What restrictions need be placed on ESP's seq #?

Anything else?

Why do I ask, you ask?  Well I have been concentrating on good, end-2-end
ESP with a new Key Management Protocol called HIP.  And since I am already
recommending changes to the TCB API (use a hash of the Host Identity in
place of the IP address to decouple the internetwokring and transport
layers), and since I want this to be very wireless friendly, I am looking
at what I can do to 'compression' TCP's overhead.