[e2e] e2e principle..where??....

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Jun 2 11:47:04 PDT 2001

The answer to your confusion is pretty simple.  The end-to-end argument is
about where to put functionality in a layered network architecture - it is
not about how many network hops are involved in an application.  If you
read our original paper, we are discussing whether certain functions should
be placed "in the network layer" below the various applications that the
network layer serves.

If there is a contradiction to be perceived in what I said, it arises from
a  misreading of what the end-to-end argument is.

Now the end-to-end argument is often correctly applied to argue against
certain "hop by hop" functions (like link-level security and link-level
reliability functions, which are often suggested on the basis that they are
"more efficient" than source-destination encryption and source-destination
error correction).  But the idea that something that is done in a
distributed fashion is not against the end-to-end argument, if the
distribution does not place the function into the network layer itself.

I hope this helps.