[e2e] e2e principle..where??....

Jonathan M. Smith jms at central.cis.upenn.edu
Sun Jun 3 16:08:53 PDT 2001

Hi Jon,

Here's a question I once posed in a debate with you at SIGCOMM in Cannes that I
have never fully resolved in my own mind. Does the end-to-end argument support
routers as they work today in the Internet? For example, why not source routing
as a more "pure" end-to-end strategy? I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I'm
trying to understand whether the routing control plane (which is network
embedded in
the Internet) in fact complies with the e2e principle.
                                                                         -JMS