[e2e] e2e principle..where??....

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Jun 4 12:20:21 PDT 2001

At 04:59 PM 6/4/01 +0100, Panos GEVROS wrote:
>"trust" is the key word i'm borrowing from your message -

Is this "trust" in the broadest possible sense?

The automobile highway system functions on a pragmatic model of trust, as
does the air traffic control system.

The highway's benefit and risks to other users are highly dependent on the
behavior of its users.  If we had to abandon trust, we wouldn't build
highways and operate them.

The Internet is the same.  Small adaptations that incent cooperation and
punish bad behavior go very far towards creating mutually beneficial behaviors.

But the need for structuring incentives does not mean that the highway
operators have to take steering control away from car owners, nor does it
mean that edge-based solutions won't work.  There exists a minimum of
necessary cooperation, and that minimum seems to be quite small (much less
than AT&T claimed prior to Carterphone!)

- David