[Tsvwg] Re: [e2e] e2e principle..where??....

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jun 5 11:34:25 PDT 2001

>On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Narin Suphasindhu wrote:
>
> > I don't care where I get the HTTP "objects" so long as I get them --
> > and that they are reasonably accurate.  If my first attempt to get the
> > object fails, I don't mind attempting to reload the object.  In fact,
> > I think, HTTP proxy servers probably increase reliability in terms of
> > making sure the clients receive the "reasonably accurate" objects.
> > Whereas TCP connection splitting reduces e2e reliability -- because of
> > the state-full nodes in between.

HTTP doesn't deal in "objects" and cannot make a presumption that its
clients deal in objects that are stable in time.

HTTP servers may generate different results every time a "get" command is
issued , or be different depending on where the "get" command originated,
or what data is sent along as parameters of the command.

Thus, a middle-box-cache that tries to spoof both ends will almost
certainly get the answer wrong sometimes.

- David