[Tsvwg] Re: [e2e] e2e principle..where??....

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Jun 5 12:48:20 PDT 2001

> The problem with veracity in the kludge-caches is that they aren't
> part of  the application layer, so they can't do the right
> application-dependent stuff.

To be sure, I wasn't arguing in favor of the hidden middle-boxes.
Rather, I'm arguing that the behavior is not the defining metric.

For example, the behavior of late-data can be seen by well-behaved and
efficient proxies and caches just as easily as it can be seen with
kludge-boxes. The practical difference here is whether or not the client
has a choice about it. With the kludge-boxes the client has no choice.