[e2e] Re: [Tsvwg] Really End-to-end or CRC vs everything else?

Douglas Otis dotis at sanlight.net
Mon Jun 11 11:58:24 PDT 2001

Craig,

Adding to that, if errors were only due to random noise, then a summation
would be okay.  If the errors are not random and are the result of a weak
bus driver as example, then these errors will find a considerable weakness
in a summation that has the same patterns as the errors.  Hardware related
errors may not be random in nature, so any assumption that errors are random
becomes incorrect in these cases.  The source of random errors on the serial
line is prevented by CRC, so remaining errors move more into the area of
hardware related.

Doug