[e2e] traffic engineering considered harmful

Martin Karsten Martin.Karsten at KOM.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jun 20 03:42:34 PDT 2001

>  >>Hierarchical  schemes are, at least intuitively" scalable but It would be
>  >>intersting to know by how much and if there is "really" need for this in
>  >>the Internet as the number of ASs must be not that high.
>
>  >>By  the way how  is communication handled in the M3I project?
>
> badly:-)
>
> we use multicast...

To be precise: Multicast is one option, but in principle we have designed
the price communication protocol in M3I to interoperate with a variety of
transport mechanisms in order to accomodate for multiple usage scenarios
(and because it seems fundamentally unclear whether any single one will turn
out to be the preferred one).

Best,
Martin