[e2e] pre-BOF discussion: "ABR to the Internet"

Arnaud Legout legout at castify.net
Thu Jun 28 09:07:15 PDT 2001

Michael,

my work on the FS-paradigm and on PLM show, among other things, that an
explicit
rate notification (based on Packet Pairs, thus without overhead) allows
for a dramatically more efficient congestion control protocol.

http://www.eurecom.fr/~btroup/FormerPages/legout_htdoc/Research/research.html

I believe that finding a simple mechanism for explicit rate notification
will
definitely simplify the problem of congestion control. The main problem
is how to define such a mechanism, the design of congestion control
protocols with such a network support is very easier than with
the current FIFO networks.

I think that working toward this direction will be highly interesting,
but
highly controversial as I experience during my PhD. Moreover the
practical
deployment of such an explicit rate based notification will be very
difficult,
as it will probably require significant modifications of the network.

Regards,
Arnaud.

Michael Welzl wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to start a discussion to gauge interest in possibly having
> a BOF (note that nothing has been decided yet - but starting with
> a mailing list and a web site seems to be a good idea) at the London IETF
> meeting.
>
> The topic is "ABR to the Internet" - in fact, it's "ABR Explicit Rate
> Feedback related mechanisms for the Internet". To quote from the web site:
>
> The goal: A generic approach to ...
> - identify relevant information
> - propose a new protocol and/or changes to existing protocols
> - propose ways to use specific information (endpoint behaviour)
>   to achieve a certain QoS gain
> Don't think of it as strictly ABR-like (requiring per flow state).
> Think of it as ECN with a finer granularity.
>
> Let us see if we can find enough common ground to justify a BOF request.
> To join the discussion, subscribe to the mailing list at:
> http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/abr-internet/
> You will find about anything you need at this web site.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael Welzl
> Dipl.-Ing. Michael Welzl     Researcher
> Telecooperation Group        Dpt. of Computer Science
> University of Linz           Altenberger Str. 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria
> Phone: +43/732/2468-9264     Fax: +43/732/2468-9829
> ICQ # 38201212               http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/

Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

Castify Networks                Phone : 00.33.4.92.94.20.91
2229, route des Cretes          Fax   : 00.33.4.92.94.20.88
06560 Sophia Antipolis          E-mail: legout at castify.net
FRANCE                          Web   : http://www.castify.net