UDP vs. TCP distribution [was: Re: [e2e] Can feedback be generated...]

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Mar 2 11:02:32 PST 2001

At 09:12 AM 3/2/01 -0800, Sally Floyd wrote:
>I would be particularly interested if anyone's measurements ever
>indicated a surge of non-congestion-controlled traffic in the
>Internet...

Good idea, but I'd caution people to observe that non-TCP traffic is still
capable of congestion control.  For example, one can do streaming media
over UDP with congestion control - the same signals (lost packets, RED, and
ECN) can be used to reflect congestion to the endpoints and implement a
closed-loop adaptive solution (for video, lowering frame rate, and
prioritizing audio, for example).

So the actual detection and measurement of "non-congestion-controlled"
traffic flows is an end-to-end issue.  It isn't strictly observable at
router, certainly not by just looking at protocol numbers.

- David