UDP vs. TCP distribution [was: Re: [e2e] Can feedback be generated...]

Sean Doran smd at ebone.net
Mon Mar 5 15:01:02 PST 2001

| fact is theres few facts about any of this, jusdt lots of opinion.

Well, yeah, but Jon, given that the Internet is heterogeneous,
anisotropic, expanding, and mutating, it is really hard to be
anything but anecdotal, since even the most comprehensive data
set (one that defeats the observer problem (i.e., in the absence
of isotropism, how do we know what things look like "over there"?))
will quickly grow stale.

| go look at the original bell labs papers on interative audio RTTs :
| that was just opinion too - when we get to games (pace, Cheriton) same
| applies in spades

Are you arguing on the question of whether opnion can be "good enough",
or on the question of whether something much more strong than opinion
or localized (in space and time) measurements can be obtained with
an affordable amount of effort?

	Sean.

[in a long-ago CIDRD wg meeting when they were contentious]
smd: well, that's just my opinion
voice in crowd (tli? postel?): and we're ALL entitled to Sean's opinion