UDP vs. TCP distribution [was: Re: [e2e] Can feedback be generated...]

Sean Doran smd at ebone.net
Tue Mar 6 06:04:00 PST 2001

| Something like this might work for gaming (though we'd have to get the
| incentives right -- if pressing the button eliminates the delay, everyone
| will do it all the time)

If pressing the button debits the presser's account a couple of
euros in our favour, I would be more than happy to see this supported
as quickly as possible in my network.

	Sean.

P.S.: Peter Lothberg & I like to argue how QoS stuff can be done in
      various interrelated networks which generally offer only "platinum"
quality service (zero average queue length, zero drops most of the time)
can offer lower-quality (gold, silver, bronze, lead, barbed wire) at
more market-competitive prices when there is demand.   The idea is to
put up a web page where the customer can dial a flavour, such as moving
a slide-bar between 0-100% drop probability, and one that lengthens
and thickens the tail of one-way delays at the interface facing the
customer.   While turning the knobs, one would also see the list
price change -- worse quality -> lower pricing.  Prese here when satisfied.

(We also like the idea of having pre-build "profiles".  Click here for
network XYZ's observed level of service, price is 5% less than network
XYZ's list, that kind of thing).

There is apparently a decades-long history of doing this in the X.25 world.