UDP vs. TCP distribution [was: Re: [e2e] Can feedback be generated...]

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Mar 7 05:12:04 PST 2001

If carriers at all points got "paid" based on average latency, the
investment would be there to move latency to a better attractor, which
would track latent demand.  This is something I've been trying to get
started for a long time.  The movement to pay carriers based on traffic
volume, rather than delay experienced, will always drive the system to its
worst case latency.

we need a closed loop congestion control that works in the time-scale of
fiber deployment and LAN-speed upgrades.  We don't have one that does this,
and no one (other than me) seems to be even seriously thinking about
it.  I've even done something about it by advising some of the bandwidth
exchanges.

At 09:24 AM 3/7/01 +0000, Jon Crowcroft wrote:

>interesting data-
>http://www.jisc-tau.ac.uk/linx-access.html
>has a nice graph of latency improving as local access speed increases
>and matches the in/out capacity better, but
>http://www.jisc-tau.ac.uk/usa-access.html
>shows how it aint that simple and as latent demand tracks supply, long
>haul latency goes up again...roughly speaking...
>
>j.

- David