[e2e] [Diffserv-interest] A question on Adaptive Protocols vs Expected Service Classes of Diffserv

demir demir at usc.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:36:31 PST 2001

Hi,
There has been vast amount of research on how TCP will react on top of
services based on AF/AF-alike PHBs. However, I am not aware of a research
that elaborates TCP on top of EF/EF-alike PHBs from service perspective
(it seems this is unneccessary at all???). I am aware of that TCP is a
widely implemented and used protocol for congestion control and
avoidance. I assume, in a "short" time scale, TCP seems reasonable to be
used for AF PHB-based services cause TCP-friendly traffic conditioners
would refine the TCP's behavior. It seems to me that, may be, we need
different adaptive protocols for different service classes (TCP has been
developed for the "best-effort" service class). Any
ideas/insights/comments? I appreciate very much.

Alper K. Demir