[e2e] [Diffserv-interest] A question on Adaptive Protocols vs ExpectedService Classes of Diffserv

Nabil Seddigh nseddigh at tropicnetworks.com
Thu Mar 15 07:53:14 PST 2001

There has been work on both TCP modifications as well as
"Intelligent" or "TCP-friendly" traffic conditioners to
address issues with TCP over the AF PHB. We discovered
some interesting results in our experiments with the latter
approach - send me email if you're interested.

In principle, it should be easier to incorporate changes
in edge device traffic conditioners than to affect TCP
standard modifications. However, at the same time, there has
been limited implementation of intelligent traffic conditioners
or policers in deployed products.

Best,
Nabil Seddigh