[e2e] two questions about the Internet

Erich Nahum nahum at watson.ibm.com
Thu Mar 15 15:51:11 PST 2001

Constantinos Dovrolis writes:

> It is interesting that Mark's measurements (see Figure 9) are not *very*
> different from the graph that I mentioned before. Specifically,
> his graph shows:
> - About 35% of the RTTs < 100msec
> - About 60-70% of the RTTs < 200msec
> - About 85% of the RTTs < 500msec.
> Of course Mark's measurements/analysis were much more methodically
> done (my measurements were only done to get some reasonable values
> for simulations about other stuff).

Srini Seshan (when he was here at Watson) had some packet trace data from
the 1996 Olympic Web server, but it's a bit old now.  The technique was
similar to what Mark Allman did.  For the record, though, it had:

- 25% of the RTTs < 115 ms
- 50% of the RTTs < 338 ms
- 75% of the RTTs < 778 ms

The RTTs are obviously going to vary depending on what kind of
connection you have (T3, OC-768) as well as where your clients
are (NY, CA, Greece).

-Erich

--
Erich M. Nahum                  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Networking Research             P.O. Box 704