[e2e] two questions about the Internet

Erich Nahum nahum at watson.ibm.com
Fri Mar 16 11:00:51 PST 2001

Oleg Vishnepolsky writes:

> >96 (Atlanta) was the first olympics that IBM hosted, and I believe it was
> >just one complex in Southbury, CT.  98 (Nagano) and 2000 (Australia)
> >were hosted by 4 main sites: Bethesda (for Europe), Shaumberg IL and
> >someplace in Ohio (for the Americas) and Tokyo (for Asia).  The
> >request routing was done on a very course-grain level, basically
> >through the routing tables.  E.g., if you were in Europe,
> >olympics.com pointed to Bethesda. I think it was done at
> >the routing layer and not through DNS.
>
> How is it even possible not to involve DNS ? If DNS was giving out the
> same IP address to  olympics.com irrespective of the where requests
> came from, then routing would have been real tricky, to say the least.

I wasn't the one who did the work, so take my recollections with
a grain of salt.  Hari was one of the authors on the SigMetrics 97
and InfoCom 98 papers that describe this work, so I would trust him
on this one about the 96 olympics.

As for the later ones, this is what I've been told.  It doesn't
seem tricky to me, but I'm not a routing person.  I'll try to dig
up the info and post it here next week.

-Erich

--
Erich M. Nahum                  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Networking Research             P.O. Box 704