[e2e] draft on IP Fast Option Lookup

Michael Welzl michael at tk.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri Mar 23 08:19:49 PST 2001

Hi all,

I would really appreciate feedback on this draft, especially from
the router vendor folks   :)

directories.

	Title		: IP Fast Option Lookup
	Author(s)	: M. Welzl
	Filename	: draft-welzl-opt-lookup-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 22-Mar-01

This memo describes a new IP Option type that allows routers to more
efficiently check whether the IP header contains options that need
further processing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-welzl-opt-lookup-00.txt

(..)

Specific questions include:

- What do you think of the idea in general? Is it nice, or plainly a
  useless waste of space in the IP header?

- I am somewhat unsure about the offsets (the second octet of each
  Option Entry) - should I really leave them in there? They're
  additionally wasted space and are only useful if an option is found...
  which probably means that the packet is going to end up in the
  slow path anyway. An alternate version of the draft (without the
  offset) is available from
  ftp://ftp.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/michael/lookup-nooffset/

- Where else should I discuss this? Would the NANOG list be appropriate?

Cheers,
Michael Welzl