[e2e] web100

Richard Carlson RACarlson at anl.gov
Fri Mar 23 11:08:56 PST 2001

David;

Can you elaborate on your question?  Are you asking if TCP stacks are
really a performance bottleneck, if bandwidth is a scarce resource, of if
we have any proof of this?

 From the DOE perspective getting access to high bandwidth pipes is not the
major problem scientific applications are running into.  There is 'easy'
access to OC-3 to OC-48 links both within North America and around the
globe.  (Take a look at the number of OC-3/12 links coming into the US from
Europe.)  The problem is getting effective e2e throughput (goodput) through
between 2 nodes (i.e., moving a GB of data from a storage system at SLAC to
a users desktop at UTK).  The BW*delay product requires large windows on
both end nodes and almost no loss over SLAC's campus network, ESnet,
Abilene, and UTK's campus network.

The major problem DOE scientists have is determining why the goodput is so
low (i.e., 5 Mbps e2e over a 100 Mbps channel).  The Web100 activities are
designed to answer the question 'is the biggest problem in the local host,
the remote host, or the network'.  Getting an authoritative answer to this
simple question would be of immense value to the DOE scientific community
and well worth the investment NSF is making in funding the Web100 activities.

Rich

Richard A. Carlson				e-mail: RACarlson at anl.gov
Network Research Section			phone:  (630) 252-7289
Argonne National Laboratory			fax:    (630) 252-4021
9700 Cass Ave. S.
Argonne,  IL 60439