[e2e] web100

David Clark ddc at lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 23 11:40:39 PST 2001

At 12:20 PM -0500 3/23/01, David P. Reed wrote:
>So, I got a press release on web100.org and its TCP improvement software.
>
>The press will probably get this completely wrong (the slant in the
>press release is that TCP is *the big problem* and that scarce
>bandwidth is the reason we can't use 100 MB pipes).
>
>Has anyone done any studies that would reasonably support the huge
>investment here?
>
>- David

Dave,
     Not sure what you mean by "huge investment". (They just got
funded at a rate of just under $1M a year, which is not all that much
these day...)   I think what these folks are doing is trying to
distribute software that is pre-configured so that it actually goes
fast, as opposed to what happens today.  Guys like Matt Mathis have
put a lot of work into understanding the tuning of TCP, and so on,
and they have a lot of real world knowledge. The problem today is
that the vendors are not shipping stuff that benefits from that
knowledge.

     I think that TCP is the problem, but it is the implementation,
not the design. That is what the press may get wrong.

Dave