[e2e] TCP Framing

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Mar 23 14:40:40 PST 2001

Bob - I agree with you that having TCP control the framing underneath it
places a significant burden on future evolution of the TCP and IP.  You are
right, as well, about the intention of the TCP spec to avoid linking
segmentation to the sequence of calls - it was considered and dropped.

And for that matter, I still don't see the need.  If your data should be
processable out of order, why not use multiple TCP connections, RTP, or
(gasp) UDP?  If the data needs to be processed in order, then framing can
be embedded in the data stream.