[e2e] TCP Framing

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 09:01:45 PST 2001

Craig, this has been a common test for years, to see how old a "network-
knowledgeable" student is.  Ask the what UDP means.  Prior to the interesting
RFC Jeremy produced the "U" stood for just what it stands for in all other
families of protocols that have datagram services -- "unreliable".  Somehow
some Internet folks seemed to become sensitive, almost ashamed, of that very
accurate and truthful engineering label, and turned to seek a "u"-word that
had marketability.  I've yet to meet a user who knowingly "uses" a datagram
protocol.  You're younger than I thought!

Alex