[e2e] TCP Framing

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 26 13:13:18 PST 2001

Jim Williams wrote:

> [...]

My primary concern is that this appears to be a stopgap measure until
SCTP is available.

Stopgap modifications to widely-deployed protocols (e.g., TCP), even
optional ones, should be considered only very hesitantly.

As a stopgap, it might be sufficient to create a new "protocol" which
happens to be based on a TCP implementation with the addition of record
boundary enforcement, as a new (and somewhat temporary) protocol.
Backward compatibility can be achieved by having the server sit on BOTH
protocol ports - conventional TCP and this new
enhanced-reliable-record-transport.

This allows implementers to leverage the current base of
silicon-friendly TCP implementations with somewhat minor modifications.

-----

The concern with having even an optional modification to the TCP API is
that it can creep into the assumptions of the default API. I prefer the
freedom of the existing decoupling; anything that even implicitly
endorses an optional modification to that API is sliding down the path
to a true modification. Given the ephemeral nature of this proposed
modification, that seems premature.

Joe