[e2e] RED with TFRC

Jeong-woo Cho ggumdol at comis.kaist.ac.kr
Sat Mar 31 03:43:03 PST 2001

 Although Sally insists that TFRC could achieve smooth sending rates of real-time applications, (in fact, TFRC is smoother than TCP) RED is not a good router mechanism for real-time applications which would adopt TFRC as their congestion control mechanism.

 I think that dropping strategy of RED is to simplified and it cannot avoid "random drops" which is quite bad for TFRC flows, which uses weighted sum of last n packet drop intervals to estimate current fair share.

 In conclude, I think that their should be another router mechanisms to avoid these "random packet drops".

 Is their any discussions on this?