[e2e] Mystery

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue May 1 07:36:15 PDT 2001

At 11:32 PM 4/30/01 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>You can easily tunnel through NAT boxes by doing IPv6 in UDP
>encapsulation. Unfortunately we don't have a standard for that, though
>we should.

The concern I have is about address administration.  Yes, you can tunnel
anything out, but for this to work, you still have to have a v6
encapsulator that acts as a v6 edge router and a v6 address management
scheme that works on your side of the firewall.  It's too much of a burden
to put complex NAT recognition logic that decides when and how to do UDP
encapsulation in a device's IPv6 stack.  Do we build NAT kludgery into v6
forever?

- David