[e2e] Mystery

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 1 11:36:55 PDT 2001

    > From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com>

    > What is the "static" IPv6 address that you can use to find that device
    > from out in the net when you want to connect to it? Does the v6
    > tunneling router keep a PPPoET connection live?

The issue is not so much what kind of tunnel/wrapping you have from the local
v6 tunneling router, to the other end of the tunnel, as i) what address(es)
the local device(s) on your side of the tunneling router have, and ii) how
those address(es) are "advertised" to the routing system, so that the rest of
the v6 internet knows to send packets to those address(es) to the device at
the far end of the tunnel.

I'm not sure what you meant by "static" above, but having fixed address(es)
that are fully preasssigned obviously doesn't cut it; if the routing is to
scale, they need to be assigned based on where your tunnel terminates.

(Let me hasten to add that these points are all completely non-specific to
IPv6, but apply to *any* tunnel, be it IPv4, or whatever.)

	Noel