[e2e] Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered Harmful

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Fri May 4 16:27:20 PDT 2001

in the particular case, if the firewall were to send the packet on with the
IP bits cleared, which in the ECN case it would likely do, a properly
written TCP would not look at these bits, right?

>Hence, while I know of no particular proposed extension that this would
>break, I am loath to recommend the silent editing of packets in
>flight--this seems equally non-compliant.

I wont say it is non-compliant, but your argument is an instance of the
application of the end2end argument. I would argue on that basis that it is
not wise.