[e2e] ICMP & TCP segments with IP ID = 0?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed May 16 10:41:14 PDT 2001

  *>
  *> i think this is one of those "be conservative in what you send" things.  the
  *> conservative thing to do, i would argue, is to obey the principle of least
  *> surprise and send unique IDs; this is what systems expect, orthogonal from DF
  *> or not DF.  (of course, the rest of the world should obey the second half: "be
  *> liberal in what you accept", and so deal with ID == 0.)
  *>
  *> not everything is (or can be) written down.  but, as i found out to my
  *> incredible embarrassment with the telnet client in 4.3BSD [it *still* turns my
  *> face red when i think of it!], if you find yourself going out of your way to
  *> do something "out the ordinary" (out of the expected), it may well be the
  *> "wrong" thing to do.
  *>

Yes, exactly.

Bob Braden