[e2e] ICMP & TCP segments with IP ID = 0?

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu May 17 12:04:28 PDT 2001

Well, Vernon, I just love these emails.  {:o]

By the way, why is x.25 always the straw man?  Are other arguments so
weak?

Here's a partial delooping list over the last several years...

Sniffer(r) used to discover complex hub miswiring causing looped IP pkts
from Sun host -- Johnson & Johnson (a small company :).

Sniffer(r) used to discover Cisco Cat5000 Spanning-Tree fault, looping
IP pkts among hospital hubs @100Mb/s -- Columbia S.C. (nurses unable to
access patient data -- no casualties except Cisco support :).

Sniffer(r) located bridging loop in Federal agency's network that
extended from Wash D.C. to Cincinnatti (admin who connected mystery
bridge demoted a G level :).

There are several more, but this is sufficient to demonstrate why the
narrow view:  "the IP ID is not now and never has been either sufficient
or necessary for anything that might be called loop resolution" is
indeed narrow.  I should add that problems like these are extremely
expensive to companies when they occur, so assuming things are ok
because some Linux boxes have avoided the intent, if not letter, of a
sensible RFC is naive and inconsiderate of the real folks in real places
that have to deal with products decendent from hubric network
'experts'.  The above problems all had existed for a week to a month,
even jeopardized some large Cisco sales (we see how important that was
:) and cost $250/hour + travel to fix.

Alex