[e2e] TCP Option Negotiation

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu May 17 11:44:53 PDT 2001

At 11:57 AM 5/17/01 -0400, Hari Balakrishnan wrote:

>Unfortunately the statement: "it's the same host if it has the same IP
>address"
>is increasingly untrue because of dynamic IP address assignment (e.g., via
>DHCP).  This may well be a theoretical problem, but I've observed (in my
>home,
>from my FreeBSD DHCP server), turning off a laptop and turning another one
>on,
>and having the latter receive the former's IP!

IMHO, this is bad DHCP implementation, then - when you turn off a laptop
and turn it on again, it should tend to retain its lease.  But when a lease
expires or gets released, the DHCP service should enforce a delay before
reassigning it.

It's not as if the TCP rules about host crash/restart delay haven't been
documented for years, or aren't part of the protocol standard that reads on
IP address assignment.

- David