[e2e] where end-to-end ends

Eric Travis travis at gst.com
Tue May 22 13:52:31 PDT 2001

I'm not sure that I agree with the implication
of your subject line ...

I've always interpreted the ultimate "end" in
end-to-end to be the communicating processes
rather than the transport entities who are
providing services.

While the relevant control loops are localized,
the ultimate end points of communication remain
the same as they always were - the communicating
processes (application layer entities).

Now I'm curious - am I really bound to having only
a *single* layer-4 hop before "end-to-end ends" in
the absolute sense?

All this is really no different than e-mail. Wouldn't
you agree that e-mail correspondence between two
people is still legitimately labeled as "end-to-end"
communications?

Eric

travis at gst.com