[e2e] where end-to-end ends

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue May 22 18:12:03 PDT 2001

  *>
  *> I've always interpreted the ultimate "end" in
  *> end-to-end to be the communicating processes
  *> rather than the transport entities who are
  *> providing services.

Eric,

No, actually, I don't think that is the correct model for TCP.  There
was some consideration given to making TCP connections
process-to-process, but that was abandoned, I think because it seemed
to OS-dependent.  Instead, TCP connections end on "neutral territory"
between OS and network, the port space.  Each OS was then assumed to
have some way to couple its processes to ports.

Bob