[e2e] TCP Option Negotiation

Ralph Droms rdroms at cisco.com
Wed May 23 06:34:27 PDT 2001

I had heard about this quiet time (which I didn't think of as implementing
TCP quiet time) in the Microsoft server.  This server's quiet time is a
"value added" feature that is not part of the DHCP spec.  I note that the
first issue (adding quiet time because of time zone differences) is, I
think, based on a misinterpretation of the DHCP spec.  I don't know if the
second issue (adding quiet time because of clock drift between clients and
servers) arose as a result of a problem observed in practice or a projected
problem.

Other servers - in particular, the DHCP server in the DSL CPE I mentioned
in my previous note - do not implement any quiet time...

- Ralph