[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Bob Hinden hinden at IPRG.nokia.com
Wed Oct 10 10:10:57 PDT 2001

Ran,

>As I also read the TSVWG list, I'll note that I think that congestion
>avoidance and control mechanisms should always be turned on.
>I disagree with folk disabling congestion avoidance and control
>just because a given link might be perceived to be "local"
>(particularly where "local" seems to have the de facto meaning
>of "on-subnet").

I agree.  I also think "local" here may be implied to be an environment
where there are few errors and high bandwidth (e.g., a LAN).  "Local" may
instead be some sort of wireless technology where congestion avoidance and
control mechanisms will be important.

Bob