[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

John Wroclawski jtw at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Oct 10 10:36:55 PDT 2001

Joe,

At 10:08 AM -0700 10/10/01, Joe Touch wrote:

>I guess I'm the one on the other side of the debate.
>
>IPv4 certainly has a notion of local - the subnets to which you are
>directly connected.

Indeed. But this "local" is from the perspective of things the IP
layer concerns itself with - routing, addressing, etc.

>While I appreciate the use of congestion control throughout, I still
>maintain that there are times when the network layer in particular
>needs to distinguish between local and nonlocal. I see no reason why
>the transport layer shouldn't be afforded the same opportunity.

Whether or not there's value in allowing the transport layer to
distinguish between local and non-local, the _definitions_ of local
in the two cases aren't the same. As you mention above, the network
layer definition of local is "directly connected subnet" -
appropriate for IP-layer things, but completely unrelated to any
useful definition of "local" from the perspective of transport-layer
concerns such as congestion management.

If you want to defend the transport having a notion of local vs
non-local, I think you first have to say what "local" vs "non-local"
means from the perspective of a transport layer endpoint, and then
show that you can accurately decide whether a remote endpoint is
local or not. The notion that "transport-layer-local" is congruent to
"same IP subnet" just won't hunt.

Cheers,
John