[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Oct 10 11:10:56 PDT 2001

> I guess I'm the one on the other side of the debate.
>
> IPv4 certainly has a notion of local - the subnets to which you are
> directly connected. This is why, IMO, broadcasts are permitted there.
>
> IMO, a network that has a long link (as above) that is not configured as
> point-to-point is misconfigured.

You may certainly argue so. However, it seems fairly clear to me that in
the current networking environment we're seeing a steady increase in the
number of such long links which are configured as L2 broadcast networks.

It would probably not be a good idea to simply ignore such configurations
in the hope that they magically disappear...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no