[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Perry E. Metzger perry at wasabisystems.com
Wed Oct 10 11:36:24 PDT 2001

Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU> writes:
> As Ran observed on the TSVWG mailing list, IPv6 lacks broadcast, one
> could argue for reasons related to this. However, replacing the
> well-known term broadcast with the magical 'anycast' doesn't replace
> the need.

Er,

1) "Anycast" is something totally orthogonal, and the mere use of the
   particle "cast" in the word does not make it related.
2) Of course there is a direct equivalent to broadcast, which is
   multicast. If you really do need to reach "everyone" you broadcast
   to the all nodes multicast address. No protocols that I know of
   actually need this in practice.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at wasabisystems.com
--
NetBSD Development, Support & CDs. http://www.wasabisystems.com/