[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

RJ Atkinson rja at inet.org
Wed Oct 10 15:12:00 PDT 2001

At 17:06 10/10/01, Joe Touch wrote:
>Granted; I was recalling a time when it was proposed that anycast might use broadcast; I see it now just routes all requests to a router, which means all broadcast-like discovery services are registration-based and centralized. Oh well...

The as-deployed IPv4 anycast does not work the way you describe.
Not clear to me if the as-deployed method is written in *any* RFC.

>>2) Of course there is a direct equivalent to broadcast, which is
>>   multicast. If you really do need to reach "everyone" you broadcast
>>   to the all nodes multicast address. No protocols that I know of
>>   actually need this in practice.
>
>Except next hop discovery, i.e., the equivalent of ARP??

By which I think you mean "Neighbor Discovery", whose spec also
includes requirements to implement congestion avoidance and control
as an integral part of Neighbor Discovery.

Ran