[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 11 14:05:54 PDT 2001

Erik Nordmark wrote:

> Joe,
>

>>IPv4 certainly has a notion of local - the subnets to which you are
>>directly connected. This is why, IMO, broadcasts are permitted there.
>>

> If IPv4 has such a notion from a congestion control
> perspective then something is broken.

See RFC1112.

> RFC 2002 (Mobile IP) uses IPinIP tunneling to make what you thought was
> local (in the same subnet prefix) be capable of being anywhere in the Internet.

Who said it had to be in the same subnet? IPinIP tunnels are
point-to-point links, which means if they use subnets they are by
definition misconfigured.

>  The only notion of "local" I've seen in IETF standards for IP
> is whether to ARP (or similar mechanisms for link-layers that don't
> use ARP) or send to a router.

All broadcasts rely on the same notion of local - including BOOTP, RIP,
RARP, etc.

Joe