[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Marcel Waldvogel mwl at zurich.ibm.com
Fri Oct 12 08:02:41 PDT 2001

I am not sure that I see the problem. Below are two possible problem
statements, for which there already seem to be solutions.

If the problem mostly consists of having many short-lived connections to
a single TCP server,  I would suggest that simply remembering the send
window of a previous TCP connection to the same host might be a good
first estimate, instead of using slow start from 0. (I understand there
are some implementations out there doing that already.) Or for a
solution at the application layer, switch to a more persistent
connection (as was done by HTTP).

If the problem relates to having multiple connections to all kinds of
"local" hosts, then slow-start should take no time. On a Gigabit
Ethernet, a single TCP connection should saturate the network after
about 16 RTT (=log_2 (Rate/MSS)). Assuming typical RTT of 0.2ms, this is
achieved after 3ms, which doesn't look bad to me. For a 10Gbps network,
it would still be below 4ms to achieve saturation.

Are these not the problems, or do these solutions not solve them
appropriately?

-Marcel