[e2e] disintermediation?

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Sat Oct 13 06:45:58 PDT 2001

> For example, say Yahoo sold banner ads ...

Mark Nottingham and I disussed this in the context of the W3C P3P Spec WG,
which we both contribute to.

A user (sink) agent (p3p-enabled browser) evaluates (p3p) policies associated
with a set of URI (sources). At some point between source(s) and sink, some
policy modification occurs (cache inconsistency, content create/mod/delete,
jurisdictional (private or public) transition, etc.) What is being evaluated?

> Theoretically (and very easily) one could create an ActiveX or Java applet
> which reports whether ads made it to the screen, and make decisions
> accordingly as to whether or what kind of content should be shown.

Please see our discussion of Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 Events, in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-P3P-20010928, and the tailoring, pseudo-analysis,
pseudo-decision, individual-analysis and individual-decision possible values
for the PURPOSE element in the same document.

ebw