[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Mon Oct 15 13:13:09 PDT 2001

"David P. Reed" wrote:
> Seriously, taking seriously the idea that ANY bus or link should be "fully
> utilized" calls for direct application of the clue-by-4.  Does anyone
> really think that because a car can go zero-to-60 in 7 seconds that that is
> what should happen at every light-change?  Or that cars should always
> corner at the maximum G-force offered by their suspension and tires?

Good point.  I was under the assumption that there was more to the
argument than just getting up to speed quickly that perhaps another
congestion control strategy might help (e.g. equation based).  Your
analogy points out danger of 'network whiplash' when those flows ramp up
too quickly and ram into the car in front, causing severe oscillation
and short bursts of congestion.  Perhaps you need to give those
complaining about TCP's behavior a seminar in the end2end argument?  :-)

John