[e2e] What should e2e protocols know about lower layers?

Marcel Waldvogel mwl at zurich.ibm.com
Thu Oct 18 01:10:36 PDT 2001

Christian,

I agree with you in the general case (long, obese pipes). It would be highly
desirable if one of the main properties of slow-start (roughly determine the
useable bandwidth within a few round-trip times) could be applied to
congestion-avoidance phase as well.

But in the context of the original query ("should congestion control be turned
off for 'local' connections?"), even with a linear increase, a typical local
link (short, obese pipe) will be able to grab the link again within well below
a second even with linear increase.

-Marcel