[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Dan HE he at enseirb.fr
Fri Oct 19 01:48:10 PDT 2001

Thanks Mr. Cannara,

I don't know the WRL report. but Vernon has gaven me some useful helps.

Cannara wrote:

> Do read the Dec WRL report from 1988, which answered this issue quiet clearly
> and competently, by controlling one variable most folks just jabber (excuse
> the pun) about:  Offered Load.  If you're interested, I can email a copy.  In
Please feel free to send me a copy of the paper on "offered load".

> essence, depending on frame size, 20 or so nodes can maintain >90% throughput
> at the DLC level on a classic CSMA/CD segment.  The paper was written to
Is the >90% throughput maitained for every nodes communicating at the
same time or not?
Vernon's email hints that if there are n machines sharing one common
segment,
the bandwidth of each node can be fairly allocated up to 1/n of the
total bandwidth.
because of "colliding". So does colliding result in triggering CSMA/CD
restransmit?
I remember that one email said "NO". It concludes that packet loss is
possibly caused
by ethernet collision, right?

Dan