[e2e] Revisiting RON ("traffic engineering considered harmful"

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 15:27:27 PDT 2001

I don't want to imply that RON (or similar approaches) are not well done

remember - IP started (20 years ago) as an overlay

ratehr that now that we've observed that overlay's are a good way to
do certain kinds of research into network evolution, we should go back
up to 20,000 feet and see whichj particular approaches benefit and
which can be done other ways

peter kirstein did a really good talk about his view for example of
the research benefit of active networks (that researchers could once
again  play in the large instead of just in the lab, without having to
replace the net).

owever, i am suspicious of overlays that claim to optimise for
performance shortfalls in the underlay, where there's no economic
argument

i totally agree with your idea that its added _custimisation_ which is
_functional_ rather than merely performant

of course, cognitive economics says that we are't in a rational
market. however, i see no evidence that BGP policies are based on
anything other than straightforwrd economics. so its hard to see why
an overlay whose goal was performance in the pure network sense
 would not defeat itself by driving the BGP (and interiror)
routing systems) into more rational structures...which is no bad thing
of course...
In message <5.1.0.14.2.20011020100334.0371d9d8 at mail.reed.com>, "David P. Reed"
typed:

 cheers