[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Oct 21 21:33:26 PDT 2001

What Vernon says is quite right and I'll only add that Collision sensing and
recovery happens in times on the order of 200 uS to a few mS, on even
extremely highly contended Ethernet segments (many stations ready with pkts to
send all the time).  This is far faster than Token passing (many mS), in any
of its forms, as a very pertinent graph from the original IEEE 802
standarization simulations shows (it can be faxed to anyone who wishes a
copy).  This graph is particularly telling in that CSMA/CD become better in
relation to Token as the number of contending nodes increases -- yes, better.

One reason for trying to rid the world of 'collision' myths is that they serve
as an alarm for how easily misinformation can arise and how hard it is to
gather peoples' intellects together to stamp the myths out.  Confining
ourselves to networking, we must be aware that this applies in the TCP/IP
realm as well.  Back to the LAN realm, which the original IP world had no
cognizance of, the collision myth, that started as an IBM marketing weapon,
matured into a switch vendors' scare tactic to sell at first cut-through (a
bad idea now in disrepute) and later "a segment for every node", so that
"collisions would no longer occur" -- just pushing the problem into
provisioning of the switch fabric.  "Caveat emptor" is as necessary today as
it has ever been.

Alex