[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Oct 22 06:49:16 PDT 2001

At 09:55 PM 10/21/2001 -0700, Cannara wrote:
>This is a good msg in that it exemplifies misconceptions that we all should
>have mastered:
>
>1) A "hub" is not an arbitrator, it is simply a MAC extender (originally, more
>correctly called a "multiport repeater").

When I said "not your grandfather's Ethernet" I was including trivial hubs
in the "grandfather's Ethernet" class, Alex.  The hubs I was referring to
are the modern 10/100 hubs, which as you point out, are essentially
semi-switches.

And my main point stands: all of the gear you can buy today does not fit
the original coax-based form of the collision domain model, which made
worst case assumptions about how collisions happen that are not possible in
today's "Ethernet" (TM) networks.

I think you are agreeing with this point.  Aside from the above confusion,
I'm not sure where you get the idea I am propagating misconceptions, though.

- David