[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 23 10:06:48 PDT 2001

Wenyu,

You are right that swicthed/bridged segments are more efficient than lumping
all the nodes onto one shared segment, whether Enet or any other shared
medium.  That, in fact, is why bridging was invented -- to split loads among
different node domains.  So, it's not surprising that a fast file xfer using
anything, will slow down other traffic on the same segment -- conservation of
capacity, regardless of collisions.  As we teach new LAN students, bridging is
a first-level opportunity to architect your network, by assigning nodes to
segments intelligently, thus dividing traffic patterns and gaining far more
overall throughput than one segment could achieve for the same nodes.

Alex