[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 23 10:19:12 PDT 2001

I don't have a good scanner, David, but I'll be happy to mail or fax a copy.
The curves are indeed interesting, since they clearly show the highly
nonlinear effects of high-rate collisions at very high opffered loads, but
they also show that the equivalent Token ring starts out with a much larger
delay penalty and, despite its slower growth with load, ends up crossing
Enet's fast-rising delay to the right (at higher load) of where it had crossed
for fewer nodes.  Thus, adding nodes to Token worsens its relation to an
Ethernet serving the same nodes.

On Token Ring, you're missing the 24bit delay in every ring node that's
necessary to note a "Free" token and change it to "Busy".  In addition,
especially for the newer hub-wired rings, cable lengths were doubled, since
xmit and recv must be carried out to every node -- a doubled signal path.  So,
the very nature of Token passing is delay bounded for both mediation and
repeating.  This is the big hit that starts off well above 0 delay for any
ring and increases with the number of nodes.  In FDDI, the situation is
worsened by the need to allow long Token-Rotation times for MANs.

I agree, Man has two important capacities:  ignorance and respect.  Too much
of one and not enough of the other is often our downfall.

Alex